Thursday 5 January 2017

Jane Waldfogel

Like others, I will always recall Tony’s kindness and humility. When I was researching Britain’s war on poverty, one persistent puzzle was where the goal of ending child poverty had come from. I asked Tony one day and with his usual modesty he said it might have been him and kindly gave me his 1998 IPPR paper. That paper was the first to suggest the poverty reduction targets which of course helped set in motion the anti-poverty reforms of the Blair and Brown governments. That is just one example of his impact on policy which I am sure will be lasting. I particularly admire his last book -- Inequality: What can be done– which I have used in teaching in the US and which I hope will continue to have an influence on policy there (where it is surely much needed). 

No comments :

Post a Comment